Saturday, 21st July, 2012
FC Twente chairman Joop Munsterman wants clarification on defender Douglas’ future after receiving mixed messages from the 24-year-old.
Premier League outfit Newcastle United have been persistent suitors of the Brazil-born stopper and are thought to be desperate to take him to St. James’ Park, while fellow English side Fulham are also keeping tabs on the player’s situation.
Twente however would love Douglas to remain in Enschede and coach Steve McClaren rates the naturalised Dutchman as one of the finest defenders in the Eredivisie.
Douglas though appears conflicted in his desires and as recently as last week declared that he does not want to join Newcastle and wishes to stay at Twente.
And while he has told Munsterman the same, he has also told the Twente supremo the exact opposite.
"It is unclear exactly what Newcastle United and Douglas want", said Munsterman.
"Douglas calls me one week and says that he wants to leave and then he calls me the next week and tells me he wants to say."
Following the loss of striker Luuk de Jong to Borussia Monchengladbach and winger Ola John to Benfica, Twente are keen to avoid more damaging departures.
EXCLUSIVE FREE BETS, EXPERT TIPSTERS & MORE