Friday, 24th August, 2012
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted that he is still expecting a few arrivals and exits from the Emirates Stadium before the transfer window slams shut one week today.
“Some things can still happen”, said the 62-year-old to his club’s official site, while talking about transfers.
“I don’t want make a promise that I cannot keep. It does not only depend on me. But there still could be some action on the transfer market – ins and outs”, declared the Frenchman.
The manager said that he was expecting transfer activity in the coming few days knowing that teams usually delay transfers until the end of the window even though they are free to sign players from 1st July.
“The transfer market is open for two months and yet for one month and three weeks it is nearly closed”, said Wenger.
“It wakes up completely in the last week and then every minute becomes important. Everybody has played for time for seven or eight weeks and now suddenly everyone is in a hurry. And that is when the most intense activity happens.”
Wenger added that even though he is looking for new signings, no parallel can be drawn between Arsenal’s current situation and the one last summer.
“We knew we had to buy [at this point] last season. We had lost [Jack] Wilshere and [Kieran] Gibbs.
“We had just beaten Udinese in the Champions League but had just lost to Manchester United. This season is completely different.
“We have a good, stable, focused squad. We just have to show how good we are in the season.”
Arsenal have had a busy summer having brought in winger Santi Cazorla and strikers Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski, while they have lost Alex Song and Robin van Persie.
Wenger has already spoken about his need for a midfielder and a versatile defender, but it remains to be seen who his new target will be after seemingly losing out on Real Madrid man Nuri Sahin to Liverpool.