Wednesday, 26th September, 2012
Liverpool midfielder Suso could have been turning out for Real Madrid instead of the Merseyside giants, had it not been for a phone call from former Reds boss Rafael Benitez.
Benitez brought the starlet to Anfield from Spanish side Cadiz in the summer of 2010, but the youngster’s ability was well known to Los Blancos, who almost won the race for his signature.
Then though Champions League-winning manager Benitez picked up the phone.
"Yes, I had the whole issue of the contract, which was basically done with Real Madrid", Suso told Cope.
"But Rafa Benitez called me and he told me he had a lot of confidence in me and so I decided to go there."
And for Suso, who has begun to make an impact in Liverpool’s senior side under new boss Brendan Rodgers, there are no regrets over leaving his homeland to move to Anfield, despite the Reds’ mixed fortunes since his arrival.
"I love this club and for me this is the place", said the 18-year-old.
"For now, the truth is that I have never thought about going, because I feel comfortable here. I have no intention of leaving."
Suso made his senior debut for Liverpool earlier this season, playing in the club’s Europa League clash against Young Boys.
He quickly followed that up with his Premier League bow at the weekend, in Liverpool’s 2-1 loss to Manchester United.