Sunday, 8th July, 2012
Bayer Leverkusen have confirmed that they have rejected a bid in excess of €25M from Chelsea for Andre Schurrle.
The 21-year-old forward was believed to be available for around €20M, but Leverkusen have chosen to send out a message by turning down a big money offer from the Champions League winners.
Chelsea have been hunting the Germany international for some time, having picked him out as a potential superstar of world football. They have though been unsuccessful on this occasion, despite having spoken at length with the West German outfit.
"We had a very concrete offer from Chelsea for Andre, above the €20M fee", Leverkusen CEO Wolfgang Holzhauser told Express.
"We had already moved the sum needed in discussions between the clubs. But we ultimately decided to keep Andre", added Holzhauser, hinting that Chelsea actually met a pre-arranged higher figure, but Leverkusen still pulled the plug.
And the Bundesliga outfit are confident that Schurrle will not push for a switch to Stamford Bridge, with the 21-year-old fully content at the BayArena.
"Andre has a lot of potential and for us is very valuable", said Holzhauser.
"He has also made it clear that he would like to stay with us."
Chelsea may however not choose to give up the chase for the Germany star so easily and could yet return with an improved offer this summer.
And it is possible a level will be reached which makes Leverkusen’s continued resistance impossible.
Read expert tips & find the best betting markets!